February 27, 2010

On Life, Liberty and Publication

The unthinkable happened to me the other day.

I was notified one of my science-fiction short stories was accepted by a magazine, and I was too excited to watch one of my favorite films that was being shown on TV: John Ford's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Of course, I have seen that movie about 20 times. But it requires concentration to enjoy it fully--especially if I wanted to introduce it to Trudi (now my official fiancee).

And I just couldn't concentrate.

But no matter; it'll be on again, and Trudi and I will have the opportunity to watch it. We've been viewing quite a few pictures recently, ranging from the superb (Sanjuro) to the painful (Bread and Chocolate) to the horrendously overrated (Doctor Zhivago). Post-acceptance, however, it has been difficult for me to get into "movie mode." I'm thinking about my story and how happy I am...as well as how long it took to get here.

I'll get back in the cinematic groove soon, to be sure. And then, perhaps, Valance will be on the shortlist.

Just like I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment